Saturday, August 6, 2022

UFC star Conor McGregor slams ‘Nobody’ fighter after $100m wager

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Social media superstar Jake Paul believes he and UFC’s Conor McGregor could each make $75 million to $100 million by boxing each other, but “Notorious” doesn’t seem convinced by the idea.

Paul (5-0) is scheduled to box Hasim Rahman Jr. on Aug. 7 at Madison Square Garden. And before The Problem Child’s boxing career is over, he wants to meet the Irishman in the ring. He said so to Ariel Helwani in a recent interview on The MMA Hour.

“It has to happen eventually,” Paul said of MMA Junkie. “He’s a businessman, I’m a businessman, and that’s $75 million to $100 million for both of us.”

Well, Paul’s challenge didn’t sit well with McGregor. Taking to Twitter, Notorious responded to The Problem Child’s comments, writing, “You’ve made 2 fights and 70,000 purchases,” along with a laughing emoji.

“You’re a flop, boy,” Notorious continued. “A nobody.”

McGregor has been sidelined since breaking his leg at UFC 264 in July 2021. However, he has made it clear that he intends to return to martial arts in the near future.

The problem kid was originally scheduled to box Tommy Fury at Madison Square Garden in August, but “TNT” pulled out of the fight citing US visa issues.

But according to Paul, Rahman Jr. is trying to renegotiate the deal he made for the boxing match.

“Hasim Rahman Jr. is trying to renegotiate his contract right now,” Paul told Helwani of MMA Fighting. “So last week he signed a contract for 10 times what he was ever paid for any of his fights and now – boom, fast forward a week – he’s trying to renegotiate, he’s trying to get more money out of the fight, he’s trying anything he can to make money because I think he realizes the consequences of what could happen.

“I think he’s really scared to fight me. A lot of these guys get excited about the money at first, and then when it’s actually time to start training and go to camp and do all those things, they all cringe. So who knows if this fight will even happen at this point because we won’t be paying him any more money. He is not worth it. He has a name, but he doesn’t have a massive name. So it’s unfortunate man.”

The problem kid made it clear that if he loses another opponent, he will cancel the entire August 7 event. And he has no intention of playing with Rahman Jr.’s team for a raise.

“I think his team is, and we don’t give a shit,” Paul continued. “I’m not paying the guy anymore. I’m tired of these guys trying to overprice themselves. We pay him 10 times more than he ever earned and now all of a sudden he is trying to charge 30 times more than he ever earned but there is already a signed contract. He already signed on the dotted line, and now he’s trying to go back and say, “Well, I’m not going to fight.”

“If Hasim drops out, we’re just not going to do the event,” Paul added. “I’m tired of changing opponents. There really aren’t any other names. We need to reset, reschedule, and it’s too short notice to swap out another opponent. The tickets and it creates so many complications for refunds and it’s just a bloody nightmare and a pain in the ass. At this point it is too late to give to anyone [else] quite a bit of training time. I want someone in there to challenge me. So if we called someone three weeks ago and said, “Hey, we’ve got the fight in three weeks,” then there might be the excuse, “Well, they only had a couple of weeks to train, it wasn’t a fair fight, blah.” ‘Blah blah.’

“So this is a last resort. Hope it comes through. We’re not paying him more, so we’ll see what decision he makes. But it’s just a shame. It pisses me off man. It really pisses me off because it’s so insane how the Disney Channel everyday kid wants to fight but nobody else.”

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here