Sunday, October 17, 2021

Hungary fans clash with police after being arrested for a “racist crime” at Wembley Stadium

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Hungary’s fans could be heard mocking England’s players who took the knee – while a banner was also seen against the gesture

Hungary supporters clashed with police at Wembley Stadium after an arrest for “a racially aggravated public order violation” was made during their World Cup qualifier against England.

The meeting between the two teams in Budapest last month was overshadowed by monkey chants targeting Raheem Sterling and Jude Bellingham, with Hungary banned from the stadium and ordered to play one FIFA competitive game behind closed doors, while a second for two years has been blocked.

On Tuesday night, Hungary’s travel contingent was in the spotlight and he could be heard hooting as England’s players tore their knees just before kick-off.

Shortly thereafter, there were clashes in the away section in which police apparently used batons, the Met Police confirming that this happened after “Officials came into the stands to comment on a spectator for a racially aggravated public order violation to arrest a steward ”.

Met police added, “When the officers made the arrest, a minor disturbance broke out, which included other bystanders. Order was quickly restored and there were no further incidents at this point. “

ISam Cunningham’s senior football correspondent recorded footage of the police being “forced back into the tunnel”.

The football association also confirmed that it would investigate the incident and report it to Fifa.

The FA statement: “We are aware of an incident on the away side during today’s qualifying for the 2022 FIFA World Cup at Wembley Stadium. We will investigate and report the incident to Fifa. “

Footage ITV At halftime, Hungary fans showed beating, police officers retreating through the tunnel, and also a banner that spoke out against knee flexion.

“Here at Wembley there were some pretty awkward scenes at the beginning. You can see the banner among the Hungarian fans taking no to their knees. That just before kick-off “, ITV said moderator Mark Pougatch.

“A few minutes in the game, this one [clashes] happened at the Hungarian end when some of the police officers used their batons and beats thrown by the Hungarians.

“It took a few minutes and then it seemed like the police were retreating down the stairs. There were reports before the game that there would be more cops on duty here tonight, but the fact that the police have pulled out like this begs the question of whether there are enough of them here tonight. “

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here