Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Conor McGregor dares UFC rival after signature ‘Take Over’ diss

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


UFC superstar Conor McGregor fired back at longtime foe Khabib Nurmagomedov after being taunted for his signature “takeover” phrase.

Former two-division champion McGregor shares a heated rivalry with former lightweight champion Nurmagomedov, who dispatched him easily at UFC 229 in October 2018. Nurmagomedov would defend his belt two more times against Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje before deciding to retire from professional competition.

After their fight, McGregor and Nurmagomedov didn’t seem to resolve their differences in the cage as they continued to exchange verbal jabs at each other.

Team Nurmagomedov has no shortage of elite fighters in their ranks as “The Eagles protégé Islam Makhachev sits atop the 155-pound UFC throne. Makhachev claimed the vacant belt last month by dominating former defending champion Charles Oliveira at UFC 280.

Last weekend, Khabib’s cousin Usman Nurmagomedov became the Bellator Lightweight Champion after defeating Patricio Pitbull at Bellator 288.

In a speech Sunday for Class A Events/Penny Appeal Canada, Nurmagomedov threw a dig at McGregor, who once said the infamous phrase, “We’re not here to participate, we’re here to take over.” He was referring to the Hallmark of his opponent when he pleaded for the dominance of the Nurmagomedov team in sports.

“Right now we have current lightweight champions from UFC and Bellator,” Nurmagomedov said said. “That’s great. I heard a guy a long time ago talk about ‘we’re here to take over’, but we’re here to take over.

“It’s interesting that I don’t coach a lot of people. I’ve been coaching people that surround me since I was an active fighter, 10-15 people. On the way to the arena I looked, we 13 people together won almost 300 fights. That’s crazy. No one has ever done that in MMA. It has never happened.

“I’m very happy because I know it was my father’s hard work, the way he invested in us, taught us, pushed us, everything that continues his legacy to this day.”

‘The Notorious’ didn’t take long to issue its response after encountering Nurmagomedov’s taunts.

“I keep fighting,” McGregor wrote in a now-deleted tweet. “Your father’s plan is never finished because you quit and ran away, brother. God bless. I’m still here if you want to go again. But your fear of losing means you’ve already lost. Run away as much as you want. In the end we all lose. Death takes us all. I fear nothing but God.”

McGregor recently wrapped filming for his Hollywood debut in the upcoming remake of the 1989 cult classic Road House. Although he has challenged Nurmagomedov to a rematch, it seems unlikely that the undefeated Dagestani icon plans to hold on to his retirement.

Company President Dana White confirmed McGregor would need to spend at least six months in the US Anti-Doping Agency’s drug testing pool before he could return to fighting. He has been linked with a possible welterweight title fight for his comeback, but no concrete developments have occurred.



- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here