Sunday, November 27, 2022

Surrey primary school pupil dies after bacterial outbreak

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The students are from Ashford Church of England Primary School in Ashford.

The UK Health Safety Authority (UKHSA) said the outbreak was due to invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS).

dr Claire Winslade, Health Advisor at UKHSA South East, said: “We are extremely saddened to hear of the death of a student at Ashford Church of England School and our thoughts are with her family, friends and the school community.”

She added that students and staff in the same grades as those affected were advised to take antibiotics as a precaution.

Corresponding gov.ukGroup A Streptococcus is a bacterium that can grow in the throat, skin, and anogenital tract.

The infection causes a variety of skin, soft tissue, and respiratory infections including: tonsillitis, pharyngitis, scarlet fever, impetigo, erysipelas, cellulitis, and pneumonia.

Anyone concerned they may have iGAS symptoms are urged to call NHS111.

Want a quick, expert briefing on the biggest news? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out what you need to know…

The UK Health Safety Authority (UKHSA) said the outbreak was due to invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS).

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here