Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Soccer player Benjamin Mendy again refused bail before the rape trial

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy was denied bail for the third time ahead of his rape trial the next year.

The French defense attorney is accused of raping two women and sexually abusing a third.

Mendy, 27, has been on pre-trial detention for seven weeks since his arrest in August and is on pre-trial detention at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool.

He was absent from the 50-minute bail hearing in front of Judge Patrick Thompson at Chester Crown Court, from which the press was excluded.

Mendy was charged with alleged rape in October 2020, sexually assaulting a woman in early January this year, and alleged rape in August on August 26.

The alleged attacks on three different women, including one under the age of 18, are believed to have occurred at his home address on Withinlee Road in Prestbury, Cheshire.

One of the alleged rapes reportedly took place at his home in August when he was released on bail for other sex crimes against the police.

Mendy had previously made two unsuccessful bail requests.

Prosecutor Debbie Byrne had stated in court that one of Mendy’s bail conditions was that he would not be allowed to host house parties.

But in August, the police were called to his house, where a party of up to 21 people was taking place. He was then arrested on charges of rape and alleged bail violation, Ms. Byrne added.

She had said Mendy had shown unwillingness to keep his bail conditions and that he should be placed in pre-trial detention to deter further crime.

Mendy was suspended from Manchester City after being charged by police.

He joined the club from Monaco in 2017 for £ 52 million, which was a world record transfer fee at the time.

Mendy’s co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 40, of Eccles, Greater Manchester, is on trial on charges of quadruple rape and is also on remand.

The charges relate to three applicants over the age of 16. The incidents are said to have occurred between April and August.

Mendy and Matturie are set to go to trial on January 24, 2022.

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here