Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Pennsylvania daycare evacuated due to carbon monoxide leak

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -



WFMZ reported that every ambulance in Allentown responded to the leak at the Happy Smiles Learning Center.

Oct 11 (News) — A carbon monoxide leak at a daycare center in Allentown, Pennsylvania on Tuesday sent more than two dozen children and several workers to the hospital.

According to Capt. John Christopher was the original 911 call for an unconscious child. When firefighters and rescue workers arrived, monitors on their bags warned them of carbon monoxide.

All 28 children and four adults who were taken to the hospital are in stable condition.

The incident has been reported as a Level 1 mass casualty, meaning local emergency services and hospitals could be overwhelmed by the number of patients.

UGI Utilities, a gas and electric company, arrived at the daycare around 8 a.m., according to spokesman Joseph Swopes. Swopes told USA Today that the incident was caused by “a faulty heater unit as well as a blocked vent system.”

“We have several people on site who are checking the area as a precaution,” he said, adding that people were evacuated for safety reasons.

According to officials, there is no carbon monoxide detector in the building. Legislation passed last month now requires all daycares in Pennsylvania to have CO detectors, but the 30-day deadline isn’t over yet.

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here