Saturday, June 25, 2022

New mum, 20, dies after putting hand in washing machine to empty it

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Viviane Rodrigues has left her husband and nine-month-old baby boy after she was electrocuted in a freak washing machine accident in Juazeiro, Brazil

A young mother has tragically died after being electrocuted while putting her hand in a washing machine.

Viviane Rodrigues thought the load was over as she emptied the washing machine at her home in Juazeiro, northeastern Brazil.

Investigators said the machine was still running when it retrieved some clothes when the freak accident happened this week.

She was taken to the hospital after suffering the shock but was unfortunately pronounced dead when she arrived at the emergency room.

After an autopsy, her body was taken to the rural community of Gameleira do Di, in the municipality of Campo Formoso, where her family lives.

She was buried in Gameleira do Di on June 16. She leaves behind a husband and a nine-month-old son.

It’s not the only washing machine tragedy to have been reported in recent years.

A young child died last year after being found inside a switched-on device.

The preschooler was found unresponsive in a front-loading washing machine, Stuff reports.

A spokesman said officials were briefed on an incident in Christchurch, New Zealand.

The force said: “One person was injured and taken to hospital where he later died.

To keep up to date with all the latest news, be sure to subscribe to one of our newsletters here .

“Police are investigating the circumstances of the death and the coroner has been informed.”

The potential dangers of washing machines and children have been widely reported.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been at least three deaths in children ages five and under since 2014.

There were also about 3,000 visits to the emergency room related to washing machines.

The non-profit group Consumer Reports says of the risks: “It is crucial that parents explain to their young children that household appliances are not toys and can be dangerous.

“It is equally important to alert anyone who is looking after your children while you are away of potential dangers.

“Remember that young children are in a developmental phase that makes them particularly curious.”

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here