Wednesday, October 27, 2021

London’s New Year fireworks display was canceled for the second year due to Covid

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


London’s world-famous New Year’s Eve fireworks display over the Thames has been canceled for the second time in a row due to Covid, the city’s mayor said.

Despite the lack of an imminent lockdown, the event was postponed again “due to the uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 pandemic”.

A spokesman for London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: “As always, London will welcome the New Year in a spectacular way.

“Due to the uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, our world-famous New Year’s Eve exhibition will not take place on the banks of the Thames this year.

“Last year’s successful show took place a little differently due to the pandemic, and this year a number of exciting new options are being considered as part of our New Years Eve celebrations in London.”

Typically, more than 12,000 fireworks are used for the display, which was also canceled last year amid strict lockdown measures during the UK holidays.

Alternative plans to celebrate the New Year have not yet been announced and the mayor’s office promises to provide further details in due course.

London welcomed 2021 with a light and fireworks show on the Thames, where 300 drones drew pictures in the sky above the O2, one of which had the NHS logo in a heart while a child said, “Thank you NHS heroes . “

Around 100,000 people visit the Victoria Embankment exhibition each year, which debuted in December 1999, accompanied by a further 12 million television viewers.

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here