Monday, November 29, 2021

Johnson praises the taxi driver’s “incredible courage” in the Liverpool bombing

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Boris Johnson has praised the “incredible bravery” of a taxi driver involved in the terrorist attack outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

The Prime Minister spoke to reporters on a visit to a medical center in London on Monday, about 24 hours after one man died and another was injured after the Memorial Sunday explosion.

Mr Johnson said he was unable to comment on certain details as the investigation was ongoing, but praised the taxi driver, who was locally named as David Perry.

“It looks like the cab driver in question acted with incredible presence of mind and bravery,” said Johnson.

Mr. Perry “did it [avert] which could have been an absolutely terrible disaster, “Liverpool City Mayor Joanne Anderson told the BBC.

“Our thanks go to him and our emergency services,” she added.

Mr Perry was hospitalized for his injuries and has now been released.

Three men aged 29, 26 and 21 were arrested under the Terrorism Act. They were arrested in the nearby borough of Kensington while residents were evacuated until the wee hours of the morning when armed police were seen on Rutland Avenue in the Sefton Park area.

A fourth suspect was arrested in connection with the bombing on Monday morning.

The explosion was declared a terrorist incident on Monday, but police say the motive remains unclear.

Northwest Counterterrorism Police Deputy Chief Constable Russ Jackson said the man who died in the explosion took a homemade bomb in a taxi and asked to be taken to Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

He was picked up in the Rutland Avenue neighborhood and taken to the hospital just before 11 a.m. on Sunday.

Mr. Jackson told reporters, “Our research indicates that an improvised explosive device was made and we believe it was made by the passenger in the taxi.

“The reason he then took it to the women’s clinic is unknown, as is the reason for the sudden explosion.

“We are of course aware that there were commemorative events near the hospital and that the ignition took place shortly before 11 o’clock.

“We can’t connect to it right now, but it is a line of investigation that we are pursuing.

“Although the motivation for this incident has not yet been clarified, it has been declared a terrorist incident under all circumstances and the anti-terrorist police are continuing the investigation.”

He told journalists that the police know the attacker’s identity but will not confirm it at this point.

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here