A 37-year-old Dane was arrested in the city of Kongsberg on suspicion of the crime
Five people were killed and two others injured after a man attacked them with a bow and arrow in Norway.
A 37-year-old Dane was arrested on suspicion of the attack – here’s all we know so far.
The attack occurred in Kongsberg, a city with around 25,000 inhabitants, about 80 kilometers southwest of Oslo.
The attacker is said to have started his attack in a Coop-Extra supermarket in the west of the city.
A spokesman for the chain said there had been a “serious incident” in the store.
The police were first made aware of the attack on Wednesday evening at 6:13 p.m. local time (4:13 p.m. CEST).
Local police chief Oyvind Aas confirmed that the attacker had initially managed to escape officials before he was arrested at 6.47 p.m.
The attacker was not named, but a 37-year-old Dane was arrested on suspicion of carrying out the attack.
Regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said at a press conference Thursday that the suspect had converted to Islam and that police were concerned about signs of radicalization.
He is being held on preliminary charges, which falls only one step short of the formal charges. The police assume that he acted alone.
The Norwegian news agency NTB quoted the police as saying that the suspect used weapons other than a bow and arrow.
The man was taken to a police station in the city of Drammen. His defense attorney Fredrik Neumann said he had been questioned for more than three hours and was cooperating with the authorities.
Mr Neumann also said the man had a Danish mother and a Norwegian father.
The man lives in Kongsberg, is known to the police and has a medical history, said public prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen to the Norwegian broadcaster TV2.
A witness told TV2 that she “saw a man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in hand”.
“After that I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child’s hand, ”she said.
None of the victims were named, but several of them were in the supermarket.
The two hospitalized victims are in intensive care. Among them is a policeman who was not on duty. Her condition was initially unknown.
Norway’s Justice Minister Monica Maeland said the authorities did not know if it was an act of terrorism.
The Norwegian police issued a statement stating: “The police have not yet seen any evidence that the national threat level has changed.”
Police spokesman Oeyvind Aas said: “We will come back to a more detailed description of what happened when we have a better overview of what happened.”
Prime Minister Erna Solberg, who spent her last day in office, called the attack “terrible”.
She said at a press conference: “I understand that a lot of people are scared, but it is important to emphasize that the police are now in control.”
Additional reporting from agencies