About a month ago, the military took power in Sudan and placed the head of government under house arrest. Mass protests that lasted for weeks followed. Now there is said to have been an agreement with the putschists.
The head of government Abdalla Hamdok, who was under house arrest after the coup in Sudan, is to take up office again. Sudanese mediators on Sunday reported an agreement with the leader of the coup plotters, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan. The agreement was reached “between General Burhan, Abdalla Hamdok, political forces and civil society organizations,” said senior mediator Fadlallah Burma to the AFP news agency. The deal also provides for the release of civilian politicians.
The military had taken power in Sudan on October 25; the civilian members of the transitional government were arrested. Al-Burhan declared a state of emergency and announced the rapid formation of a new government. Mass protests that lasted for weeks followed and were violently suppressed.
The political situation in Sudan has been unstable for a long time. After the overthrow of long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir in 2019, a so-called Sovereign Council took over the business of government, in which the military and civilians shared power. Since then, the country has been in a transition phase that should end with the establishment of a civilian government in 2023. The US, Germany and other Western countries had condemned the coup and called for a return to a civilian-led transition to democracy. Economic aid was also suspended.