Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Asks Andrew to pay the security bill after being left adrift

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Buckingham Palace is facing calls to remove Prince Andrew from his duchy over sexual assault allegations.

His public position came under further scrutiny after the Queen removed his military titles and royal patronage on Thursday.

Prince Charles was reportedly instrumental in the decision to strip Andrew of his roles, which came ahead of developments in his lawsuit that threatened to harm the monarchy.

A campaign ensued – launched by a senior member of York City Council – aimed at removing Andrew’s title, which links him to the city. And a minister could not confirm whether Andrew would continue to receive state security after being asked to pay for his protection.

A decision earlier this week that Virginia Giuffre’s sexual assault case against the Duke could go to court continues to have explosive consequences for Andrew.

York City Council chief Darryl Smalley has launched a campaign to have him stripped of his duchy over the “troubling allegations”.

He said: “York’s unique connection to the crown and monarch is an important part of our city’s heritage and history and a great source of pride.”

He added that although Andrew “remains innocent until proven guilty”, the Government and Buckingham Palace “must consider the implications of these troubling allegations as they move forward”.

Rachael Maskell, Labor MP for York Central, said it was “unsustainable” for Andrew to keep his title “one more day”. Andrew could remain a prince if he loses his duchy.

The Queen stripped Andrew of his royal patronage and military titles on Thursday, meaning he could no longer use HRH’s style.

The Prince of Wales was key in the royal family’s decision to distance themselves from Andrew The sun.

The newspaper reported that a royal courtier said: “It is Prince Charles who has in fact led a royal crisis management team formed to limit the damage to reputation caused by Andrew’s disastrous association with Jeffrey Epstein.

“While the Queen has expressed her opinion on the matter, she is naturally protective and sensitive towards Andrew, who is said to be her favorite son. Whereas Charles has taken a consistently harder line on Andrew and doesn’t exactly agree with the position of his brother, who is up to his neck in a terrible mess of his own making.”

Charles refused to answer questions about his younger brother’s position while touring a storm-damaged country estate in Scotland on Friday. A reporter asked his opinion, but he ignored the question and went on to shake hands with some of those he was supposed to meet during the Storm Arwen cleanup.

Activists have urged Andrew to pay for his own safety and stop relying on the state over the allegations against him. Graham Smith, who runs anti-monarchy group Republic, said Andrew should lose the privilege of state protection as there was no prospect of a return to royal duties.

Damian Hinds, the security minister, refused to confirm whether the prince would continue to receive government protection. He said security forces like the police were “doing what is right and appropriate to protect the people of this country,” adding, “And we don’t publish exactly what that covers.”

Questions about Andrew’s future public image were raised earlier this week when a US judge dismissed an attempt by his attorneys to block Ms Giuffre’s sexual assault case against him.

Ms Giuffre, who claims Andrew sexually assaulted her when she was 17, said she was “pleased” with the verdict and the opportunity to “continue uncovering the truth”.

She said, “My goal has always been to show that the rich and powerful are not above the law and need to be held accountable.”

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here