Virginia Giuffre has said Prince Andrew’s sexual assault trial “will be a chance to uncover the truth” after a US judge allowed her trial against the Queen’s son.
Her first comments on a federal judge’s decision to deny Andrew’s motion to have her lawsuit dismissed come after the Queen stripped him of his military titles and royal patronage.
Ms Giuffre addressed the matter in a series of tweets on Thursday night, saying she was “delighted” that the case was going to trial.
“I am pleased with Judge Kaplan’s decision yesterday, which allows me to proceed with my case against Prince Andrew. I am glad I will have the chance to continue uncovering the truth and I am deeply grateful to my extraordinary legal team,” she wrote on Twitter.
“Your determination helps me seek justice for those who have hurt me and so many others. My goal has always been to show that the rich and powerful are not above the law and should be held accountable.”
And she added: “I am not walking this journey alone, but with countless other survivors of sexual abuse and human trafficking.”
Earlier in the day, Buckingham Palace announced that the Duke of York will now defend the case as a “private citizen” while it is believed he will not be named His Royal Highness (HRH) in any official capacity.
In a statement, the Palace said: “With the Queen’s approval and consent, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.
“The Duke of York will continue to refrain from public duties and is defending this case as a private individual.”
Ms Giuffre is suing Andrew, 61, in New York for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager.
She claims she was trafficked by convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with Andrew when she was 17 and a minor under US law.
Andrew has firmly denied all allegations.
Earlier this week, Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote in his decision, “Ms Giuffre’s complaint is not ‘incomprehensible’ nor ‘vague’ nor ‘ambiguous’.”
“Discreet instances of sexual abuse in specific circumstances in three identifiable locations are alleged. It identifies who it attributes this sexual abuse to.”